I must admit, this recipe isn't for everyone. For me it really tastes like candy and gives me a good, steady energy. Others, who are used to very sugary desserts won't be impressed. So...perhaps offer it as a healthy option, along with something more conventional...
It's a great snack for kids...
Thanks to Ginat Rice, my Macrobiotic teacher, for this recipe.
1 cup sesame seeds
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup brown rice crispy cereal
1 tbsp cinnamon (optional)
3/4 cup rice syrup or 1/2 rice syrup, 1/2 barley malt.
1. Roast all seeds and oatmeal in the oven. Check every 5 min till lightly brown.
2. Heat the syrup by placing the jar in a pan of simmering water.
3. Combine the seeds and oatmeal in a large bowl.
4. pour the liquidy rice syrup over the rest of the ingredients in the bowl
5. mix all ingredients together with a wooden spoon
6. spread the mix out onto parchment paper or baking paper with wet hands
7. let harden for two or three minutes and cut into squares with a blunt knife.
8. Cool completely.
Optional: Bake the crispies for 5 minutesin a medium oven after cutting into squares.